Thursday, February 6, 2014

Off Road Tracks

We covered over 5000km on our trip and a good chunk of that was on gravel roads and off road.  Obviously the trip between Auckland and Wellington consumed a huge number of tar seal related distance.

I have been putting together a route of our off road tracks using a map provided to us with a really rough highlighted route on it.  The reason for the vagueness is to do with sensitivity from land owners about their land being used.  Which is why my videos have been heavily edited to try to remove the majority of distinguishing land forms from the footage.  It will also explain why the scale on the images below is not very large and the tracks not really very well defined.  Please treat them as a rough guide to our trip to illustrate the flavour of what we did and the approximate location.

As I said earlier I had hoped to use my Hema Maps GPS app to log each off road track, but it could not cope with the amount of time I was asking it to log for.  I am not sure if this is a fault of the app or my expectations of the performance of this app to do what I had hoped it could do.  Anyway here are a series of images that illustrate our off road route from North to South through Canterbury and Otago.

If you would like a map of the route we took up the West Coast and up to French Pass, let me know.








No comments:

Post a Comment