Monday, November 18, 2013

Defender Owners

Today I took the car in for its 1000km service check up.  I had the tires filled with Nitrogen as apparently this can lead to a 30% reduction in fuel consumption, but driving a brick like a Defender I am not sure that the savings will be that great, but we will see.

I have had great pleasure in driving the car over the last 6 weeks and in that time I have witnessed three distinct things.  Defender owners tend to acknowledge one another as we pass.  I like that, it is like being part of an unofficial club.  But it has got me thinking because the other reaction I am getting from my friends about my owning a Defender 110, range from questioning my sanity to howls of laughter.  Is this why Defender owners wave to each other?  Are we mad?

The other reaction I get as I drive around town is the pedestrian stare.  The car does catch the eye and they are sufficiently different and rare that they do attract attention.  Whether that attention is one of envy or hilarity is hard to gauge.

Once I picked up the car after its service, there was a clear difference. The acceleration was noticeably smoother and quicker, the ride seemed smoother too, must be the nitrogen lifting the car slightly off of the road!

I have now made the 1000km mark, so now the open road and rough roads beckon.  We are off to the Coromandel this weekend...  Go Pro's charged and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment